15 May 2020

Hold On ~ Opening Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

In my collection of short stories, Sheetrock on the Road, every story begins with “sometimes.”  It is a device that I will carry into the second volume which is almost complete in its first draft.  It led me to a thought that I wish to process and invite you into the journey through that course.

I was reading through my book of Kipling poetry and this line jumped into my head and began to demand attention: “And so, hold on when there is nothing in you except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’”  I have been besieged of late with my desire to be where I wish to be and doing what I wish to do.  The present distress and some of my obligations do not yet allow this. 

If you read regularly, you know that I long to only derive my income from writing.  You also know about Project Tortoiseshell.  I am not impatient for these to be a reality.  I am, however, longing for it.  For those of you who pray for me, I would be honored if you would include these two things in your prayers.  That is not my focus here.

What I wish to ponder and hone is my mind’s will to hold on when things are not as I wish them to be or unfolding as quickly as I desire.  I believe that we are not as good at holding on as we should be at it.  In too many ways we have lost the long view of things.  We forget that what we are traveling through at this point is not permanent.  We lose sight of the journey in the current circumstance. 

There is a proverb that has an uncertain origin.  It has been attributed to many philosophers.  I care more for its truth than its progenitor.  “A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.”  I have heard worded several different ways but the truth is the same.

I want to think clearly through ways and circumstances in which we need to hold on.  It may take all of our wills.  It may take all of our courage and strength.  It may even take all of our faith, but we must remember how to hold on to truth and journey forward.  I must hold on to my resolve and heart.  No matter how long it takes, I must believe that the tree will grow and there will be shade for those in need.

Please travel with me, Dear Reader as we look to bolster our hope and heart.  Perhaps we can find better ways to hold on to that which matters and throw away things that do not.  It will not always be easy or seem practical.  It will allow us to move closer to home and to that time when hope and faith are no longer necessary.  It will give us a place to stand until we see the next step.  Perhaps we can learn together some better ways to hold on because your thoughts and questions always help me see a bit clearer. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment