17 June 2020

The Hard Path ~ Faith not Flags


Greetings Dear Reader,

If you have not seen the documentary, American Gospel, I highly recommend it.  I will write more about that later but I want to use its influence on this thinking.  You know that I am very conservative in my theology.  I am also grateful for the freedoms we still enjoy as Americans.

I must, however, be honest about my nation's shortcomings as they measure against that conservative theology.  First, I should define conservative.  I do believe that the Father, the Son, and the Spirit are real, that they are God, and that this is where my first allegiance aligns.  When any person or entity goes against that theology, I must meter my response so that I treat everyone involved with love and grace.  I cannot be offended if others disagree with me or act in ways that do not line up with my theology.  Ponder that, Dear Reader.  I know that I have to every day.

I must follow in faith before I wave any flag.  Remember that I work through these thoughts in my blog so that I am perfecting my faith.  It is posted here for your benefit and my accountability.  So, the question is begged of how I respond as a Christ-follower in a nation that has left behind following Christ and instead remade God in their own image.  I do not say this in judgment or anger.  I observe.

When my nation clamors to put children in cages and kill the unborn, I do not see it loving the Father and all other humans.  When we treat any class of citizen as undeserving of love and respect, we are wrong.  No matter who the enemy of your alignment is, you are required to love him or her to follow Christ.  Our failure to do this is what lies at the heart of the strife in our nation. 

I must put Christ first in every aspect of my life.  This means that I cannot agree with things that go against his command to love the Father and love all humans.  I cannot decide that someone’s wrong-doing puts them outside of that command.  I must love everyone.  This also means that when my nation does not do this, I must choose faith over flag. 

It does not mean that I rebel, revolt, or riot.  It means that I work to love everyone, agree with the issues that support that, and keep anger and outrage from the conversation.  It is a hard path because you walk against the majority on either side.  Still, no matter how I feel about the issues, I have to love everyone involved.

I was discussing this with my closest friend the other day and he reminded me of a song from 1972 by Larry Norman.  Give it a listen, Dear Reader.  See if it does not ring true in the light of following Christ and the issues we face today.  As always, I treasure your thoughts and questions.

Great American Novel – Larry Norman

I was born and raised an orphan in a land that once was free
In a land that poured its love out on the moon;
And I grew up in the shadows of your silos filled with grain,
But you never helped to fill my empty spoon.

And when I was ten you murdered law with courtroom politics,
And you learned to make a lie sound just like truth;
But I know you better now and I don't fall for all your tricks,
And you've lost the one advantage of my youth.

You kill a black man at midnight just for talking to your daughter,
Then you make his wife your mistress and you leave her without water;
And the sheet you wear upon your face is the sheet your children sleep on,
At every meal you say a prayer; you don't believe but still, you keep on.

And your money says in God we trust,
But it's against the law to pray in school;
You say we beat the Russians to the moon,
And I say you starved your children to do it.

You are far across the ocean but the war that’s not your own,
And while you're winning theirs, you're gonna lose the one at home;
Do you really think the only way to bring about the peace
Is to sacrifice your children and kill all your enemies?

The politicians all make speeches while the newsmen all take note,
And they exaggerate the issues as they shove them down our throats;
Is it really up to them whether this country sinks or floats?
Well, I wonder who would lead us if none of us would vote.

Well my phone is tapped and my lips are chapped from whispering through the fence,
You know every move I make, or is that just coincidence?
Well, you try to make my way of life a little less like jail,
If I promise to make tapes and slides and send them through the mail.

And your money says in God we trust,
But it's against the law to pray in school;
You say we beat the Russians to the moon,
And I say you starved your children to do it.

You say all men are equal, all men are brothers,
Then why are the rich more equal than others?
Don't ask me for the answer, I've only got one:
That a man leaves his darkness when he follows the Son

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment