30 June 2020

Your Brother’s Keeper ~ Crossing Lines

Greetings Dear Reader,

Recently I watched the movie Changing Lanes again.  If you have not seen it, the story is of two men who collide on the freeway in New York City.  Their lives then collide as well.  Watching it in the current air of social unrest, I was reminded of the disparity that exists in so many areas of American life. 

Please understand, I do not think that everything we see on the media is true or that for one moment that they are telling us unbiased truth.  There is a problem.  It is not as intentional as others would have us believe.  It is also not as benign as some choose to think.  We do not treat all people with equality and respect. 

I am not going to dive into the discussion about who is right or wrong.  I am going to address the greater problem.  In a country so deeply divided, there are those who follow Christ on all sides of the issues with which we struggle.  More than anyone else, we should have the capability and willingness to cross the lines and listen with loving hearts to our opposition.  We are the ones who are supposed to live peaceably with all humans.

The lines that exist between us have been created by us.  When we make it a point to really listen, we can really hear.  When we put away our bias and obey the command to have compassion, we truly see the needs of others.  I do not care what issues we disagree on, if we claim Christ then we must cross the lines and deal in love and compassion.  There is no valid argument against this.

Obeying the command of Christ to compassionate love is not agreeing with any of the issues that we find outside of our faith.  Loving others and hearing their grievances is part of following Christ.  If my faith is real, then the things I find wrong will not harm it.  I should not expect those who disagree with my beliefs to live by them.  They have the right to expect me to live by them at any cost. 

No matter how much hatred, anger, or outrage someone throws at me, my response is to cross their line and show them compassion with honest listening.  My obligation is to hear and care.  My “thoughts and prayers” must be lived out in my provision and respect or they are useless in the eyes of those who do not believe. 

I need to refrain from judgment and demanding that others live like I do.  I have to train my brain to love first no matter what the line is.  My primary response must be to walk into any situation carrying a banner of love and peace.  My faith must mitigate my fear and prejudice.  I must be challenged to live that on every level of my life.  I must accept the challenge and challenge you to do the same, Dear Reader.  If I do not, my wagging head only swings my plank in a wider, more damaging arc.  I want to remove the plank from my eye so that it feels safe to journey next to me.  I desire for you to feel as welcome as you are.

Jesus Friend of Sinners – Casting Crowns

Jesus, friend of sinners, we have strayed so far away
We cut down people in your name but the sword was never ours to swing
Jesus, friend of sinners, the truth's become so hard to see
The world is on their way to You but they're tripping over me

Always looking around but never looking up I'm so double-minded
A plank eyed saint with dirty hands and a heart divided

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks yours, yeah

Jesus, friend of sinners, the one who's writing in the sand
Make the righteous turn away and the stones fall from their hands
Help us to remember we are all the least of thieves
Let the memory of Your mercy bring Your people to their knees
No one knows what we're for only against when we judge the wounded
What if we put down our signs crossed over the lines and loved like You did

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks yours

You love every lost cause; you reach for the outcast
For the leper and the lame; they're the reason that You came
Lord I was that lost cause and I was the outcast
But you died for sinners just like me, a grateful leper at Your feet

'Cause You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever
You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever
You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever
You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks Yours
And I was the lost 'cause and I was the outcast, yeah
You died for sinners just like me, a grateful leper at Your feet

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 
 BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/  


No comments:

Post a Comment