16 June 2020

The Hard Path ~ The Quality of Mercy


Greetings Dear Reader,

When we ponder the hard path, we do not often consider mercy.  It may be that we do not think of being merciful at all.  Mercy is one of those things that we brush off or with which we refuse to engage.  In truth, it is something we should ponder daily.

I think of mercy as a three-legged stool.  The first leg is that of the mercy that I need daily from the Father.  I fail daily to love him as I should and, in his mercy, he still allows me to live, mostly be in comfort, and provides for my needs.  We do not consider enough the role that mercy plays in this. 

If we pay attention to Jesus on the matter, we are to be merciful as well.  This is the second leg of our stool.  Mercy is the other side of the coin of grace.  It is one of the hardest parts of the hard path.  It means that through love and grace we do not give someone what they deserve when we have been wronged.  We lay out mercy instead.  We forgive and do not demand restitution.  We cancel the debt and refuse to hold onto offense.  This second leg is one over which we all stumble.

The third leg is difficult as well.  We need mercy from others.  We fail and rarely understand the impact of our failures.   We do not understand why fences cannot be mended.  The fact is that every relationship can be healed if both parties are committed to love, grace, and mercy.  Offenses and their wounds cannot live in this environment.  We must humbly accept that we need the mercy of others and that we cannot demand it or control it.  We must live a life that will show others love and grace and hope that they will be merciful.

The quality of mercy is that unless we deal in love and grace always, it is a very hard path to walk.  Our pride and hurt want us to withhold mercy and feel that we deserve it always.  The hardness is that by definition, mercy is underserved.  I must realize that I do not deserve it if I have any hope of living properly in love and grace.  I must accept that all humans are in the same situation.  None of us deserves mercy yet all of us need to give it liberally. 

The offenses we collect along the way are what make the path so hard.  The failure to forgive fully is a stony obstacle.  The lack of love and grace causes us to carry anger and offense into the next day.  We are required to leave our anger in the past.  We are obligated to forgive.  Even when it is hard as diamond, we are to walk the path of mercy, Dear Reader.  I must do so with all my heart if I have any hope to love others as Jesus loves us. If I am making others beg for mercy, I am doing it wrong.  If I withhold it, I cannot claim to love others.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment