29 June 2020

Your Brother’s Keeper ~ We are Wrong

Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday, I related the story of my encounter with a young man who could laugh like a Kookaburra.  In the same store at a later date, I had another encounter.  I was wheeling my trolly through the soup aisle when an African American mom and her daughter were headed in the opposite direction. 

I only mention her race because it is important to the encounter.  The little girl was filled with energy and smiled at me as we were about to pass.  She was riding in the large part of the trolly.  She raised her left hand and blurted, “Give me a high-five mister.  It is a great day.”  Even before she got it all the way out her mum was trying to shoosh her. 

The mum looked at me, nervous, and said, “Don’t bother the man.  He doesn’t want to give you a high-five.”  She looked at me with eyes that were apologetic and sadly, fearful.  I instantly felt compassion for whatever has instilled this fear and sadness in her.

Looking at her, I said, “With your permission,” and held up my hand to her daughter.  The daughter giggled and smacked me the hardest high five she could muster.  The mum informed me that her daughter had been doing this all over the store and nobody responded until me.  When she said this, the daughter responded, “But I got somebody to do it, so I am done now.”

I was delighted with the girl.  The mum and I chatted for a moment and I could tell that she needed to move on. As they moved down the aisle, I heard the mum say, “You see sugar, nice people come in every color no matter what your uncle says.”

It was my turn to be sad.  I was sad that any child has to be taught to not fear others.  I was sad that the mum had been fearful of my response to her child.  Sadness over the depth to which we are all wrong about how we treat each other welled up in me.  No matter what anyone believes, we all fail to treat each other as we should.  This is not a platitude or weak mea culpa.  We need to accept our guilt for failing to treat everyone with dignity and respect out of love.

Almost all absolutes about humans are in error.  We still form weighted opinions based on race, religion, politics, and social alignments that play the percentages.  We find a tribe or clan to align with and fuel our status at the expense of other clans or tribes.  We choose foolishness and greed to neglect the needs of others.  We all hate for some reason.  Many justify their hate based on the actions of others.

The problem is that we are responsible for everyone.  We are required to love every human soul and meet the needs of that human if we can.  Racial, religious, and social division are our way of justifying our bloody deeds in the name of our creed or cause.  If I accept the requirement to love the Father by loving my neighbor, the stranger, and my enemy, then none of the other things matter accept in understanding their needs. 

We all fail to love others as we are required to do.  We all are our brother’s and sister’s keeper if we have any hope of following Christ.  I saw that mum and little girl again yesterday when I was grocery shopping.  I should say that the little girl saw me first.  Her voice radiated sunshine, “Hey mister, you got a high five for me today?” 

Of course, I did.  The beauty of the moment was that her mum was smiling too.  She greeted me and this time we exchanged names.  What I need to do; what we all need to do, Dear Reader, is to replicate moments of honest love and kindness with everyone.  We have to begin to be that constant source of loving respect in every situation.

Any statement that I am following Christ that does not include this determination is me following a false path.  As we journey together, I must become a living source of love and light to whoever falls into step with me.  Those small events will cascade into something beautiful if we determine to be this.  Until we do, we need to really listen and hear when others do not feel loved and respected.  We need to see their fear and anger and mitigate it through the love of Christ.  We need to give little kids a high five whenever they ask for it.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment