02 October 2020

Blessed Darkness ~ Full Moon

Greetings Dear Reader,

 On my drive home last evening I was treated to the bright and brilliant beauty of the first full moon of this month.  There were some clouds and I gained some understanding of Noyes’ reference to the moon as a ghostly galleon.  The first night of October shown brilliantly enough that I stopped at a park to enjoy the play of light and dark.

Photo by Joseph Alexander Sharp

The darkness was all long shadow and deep hollows punctuated with gray and white patches.   The park bench, which I know to be red was black.  The slight breeze seemed to give a horse-ness to the voice of the trees whose leaves have already begun to dry. 

I took in the full beauty of the blessed darkness and spent some time praying for wisdom to make a right decision, for a family who is at the hospital expecting to deliver their first son, and for a friend whose day surely requires a peaceful night.  The beauty of that place under the moonlight helped me focus on both the needs of my friends and the presence of the Father.

The darkness held no distractions.  The tranquility of it caused me to sit there for some time.  What is true about the blessed darkness is that God can be more present to me if I will look for him.  I can speak my heart and mind more easily in the darkness because distance seems less imposing and closeness is more keenly felt.

The Father has provided signs of his presence in the darkness if we will seek him.  The heavens do declare his glory and beauty.  We can find a way to walk the path through the darkness with him, Dear Reader.  What the moon last night reminded me of was that even in the darkness there is light and life.  Even when I am concerned for those I love, there is time to sit quietly in the darkness and allow the Father to relay his comfort and care.

I can imagine one of the people for whom I prayed last night jokingly calling me sappy.  I am a romantic but I also see the practicality of living well in the darkness.  Seeing the beauty that is there helps me see the presence of God in all that there is.  I wanted to stay far longer than was equitable for my other needs.  I returned to my car more at peace and determined to keep finding blessed darkness in sacred nights. 

I look forward to the second full moon of this month.  It will be on All Hallows Eve.  My plan is to find a place, perhaps the same park to sit in the darkness, take in the beauty of the sky, and pray.  As with all things on this journey that matter, you are welcome to join me, Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

“The wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees,
The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas,
The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor,
And the highwayman came riding--riding--riding--
The highwayman came riding, up to the old inn door.” -  The Highwayman – Alfred Noyes

No comments:

Post a Comment