17 October 2020

Second Thoughts ~ Getting Stung

Greetings Dear Reader,

This is that time of year where Yellow Jackets are irritable and aggressive.  They are always grouchy as wasps go.  I got stung four times today.  The first one was as I left my morning breakfast at a local diner.  There was a Yellow Jacket on the driver’s window of my car.  I did not see him.  When I reached for the handle of my door he darted down to it, stung me without so much as introducing himself, and flew away.


One would think that two days after the book launch of Magi: The Gift Bearers, I would be elated.  There are some things, however, that hit writers right between the pockets.  Small things knock the wind out of you and it takes some time and thinking to recover.  The other three stings had nothing to do with wasps.

So, the remainder of the day went like this:  I began to organize the few hundred copies of four books I have written to be ready for a couple of book events I have coming up.  Instead of printing the copies of my devotional on Galatians that I needed, the printer sent more copies of the devotional on Ephesians.  It is not the publisher’s fault; their order matches my request.  The packing slip, however, lists the wrong book and that is what I received. I am not sure that I will get what I need in time but the Father has that all in hand.

Then, I went to a local shop to say goodbye to an employee who is leaving.  I am wearing my “Have You Read Aramis Thorn Today” shirt to promote my writing whilst walking about.  When I do, people will ask who Aramis Thorn is and I use it to promote my writing.  Whilst at this shop today a nice lady inquired about the identity of Aramis Thorn and I explained my writing and my books.  She asked what kind of writing I did.  I gave my usual answer of historical fiction.  She looked me in the eye and said, “that is useless drivel.  It confuses history and promotes revisionism.”  Then she walked away.  I am not sure why this happened but it stung.

I also tried posting a response to a question on a FB group that discussed vulnerability.  It required quite a bit of vulnerability to answer the question.  Inadvertently, I posted my web address in my comment.  The moderator, acting within the policy of the page, deleted my post.  He/She knows me well and could have simply messaged me to edit it and I would have.   Now I feel too vulnerable to resubmit my post. 

As I post a second thought about all of this, I feel the need to be clear that I am not angry at anyone.  No one tried to hurt me.  None of this is insurmountable.  It does challenge my efforts to deal with deeper problems today.  I will move past it but today I feel a little more foolish for thinking that I can make it as a writer.  I feel like putting myself out there is time I could spend doing other things.

Then again, Dear Reader, I am writing this so I must not be ready to quit.  I am sure that this is all my fallen self, attempting to shove aside all the good that is going on for me currently.  We must all deal with days like this and I have no reason to deny the truths that are good and beautiful when I do.  Rather, I must take the opportunity to think through that many blessings in my life and move toward what is next.  I hope you get that, Dear Reader. 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

The day will present us with challenges that hurt or sting.  It is up to us to allow the Father to allow this and still look for him in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment