16 October 2020

Enchanted ~ Celebrity

Greetings Dear Reader,

Over my life, I have met a few famous people.  Most of the encounters were genuinely nice.  Only once have I interacted with someone famous who seemed more enchanted with themselves than with anything else.


I often wonder why we become so enchanted by those who entertain us.  We translate their acting or sports ability to power in other areas.  We follow a singer as if the songs had the power to lead us to all good things.  I am not saying that arts, athletics, and entertainment do not have their own value.  What worries me is that we become enthralled by their talent and ascribe them power to speak on other things.

All humans have the right to think and feel as they choose.  Just because I write novels or sing a good song does not allow me to tell others what to think, feel, or believe.  I will express my beliefs.  It is like the agreement I have with my Grandsons.  I will always tell you what I believe.  I will never tell you what to believe. 

When we allow those who are famous to dictate what we think about an issue, we give up a measure of our person.  We become enchanted by their “truth” without seeking truth on our own.  We give away pieces of ourselves in identifying with celebrities over the real person.  Again, this becomes an idol that enchants us instead of a way to follow Christ.  It becomes the loss of ourselves instead of living as we are who we are designed to be.

I enjoy the arts and some sports.   I can get as thrilled about meeting someone famous as anyone.  What I must do is keep my perspective.  It is never what more can that person do for me.  It is that I must be grateful for the art or entertainment that has been gifted and find a way to express that gratitude.  Instead of enchantment and awe, we should render love and kindness through gratitude. 

What I possess as a Christ-follower is what everyone needs.  This is not a statement of condemnation or arrogance but one of opportunity.  Everyone I meet deserves the opportunity to see that in us, Dear Reader.  The influence we carry is not meant to enchant or enthrall.  It is intended to help us call a tune or tell a tale that helps others see and connect with Jesus.  In Christ alone do the songs and stories find a conclusion that makes sense and is strong that any enchantment.  It is why we write, paint, act, or play.  It is what leads us beyond magic to meaning.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium       
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

It is we who ascribe power to the famous to influence us in areas over which they have no expertise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment