04 October 2020

Cheshire Cat Theology ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

Recently, I was in a palaver with someone important to me.  This person was expressing kindly that I make people disappear.  She did not mean in the serial killer or alien abduction sense.  Rather, she was referring to how in conversations where I am not the lead in the room, people still gravitate to me.  She was not offended and the incident that led to the comment should rightly have focused on her.


I have been processing this because I try to work harder at not being someone who draws focus or distracts from the prominence of others.  Over the years I have been told that I am a strong presence, that I draw attention unintentionally, and that I fill up a room.  I do not seek to be this way and I must find a way to align my persona with the humility I need to carry.  Keep in mind that I have also been told I would make a great cult leader.  I never wanted to do that but if someone has an opening and the pay is good, we can talk.

More seriously, I want to take part of this week to think through a Cheshire Cat Theology that I am working on in order to be less intrusive and more vital.  I realize that some of you may not be familiar with the Cheshire Cat.  The name predates Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and is not original to him.   It is a surety that Carroll is responsible for the felicitous feline’s popularity.  I am getting ahead of myself. 

The cat is depicted as a striped cat with green eyes and an oversized grin.  He can appear and disappear at will.  Sometimes he can fade until only his smile remains.  He has been depicted as blue and white, purple and black, and green and white.  I do not have a preference concerning his color as much as I am curious about his character. 

Want I hope to do is develop a philosophy and perhaps even a theology of how to be more Cheshire Cat like in my interactions.  If you ask anyone that has been in a classroom or small group with me, I have already mastered the irritating questions part.  I once had a student ask me a very good question about a tricky theology issue.  She punctuated her question with the demand that I not begin my response with “Well, let me ask you something.”  This was my habit in the classroom.  I did not.  Instead, I responded, “First, I have a question for you.”  She did not forgive me for at least a fortnight. 

I would appreciate your company as I attempt to create a way to think that prevents me from making others disappear.  It is my conviction that the only way I can do this is to learn how to philosophically dematerialize myself.  This may be a bit fun, Dear Reader.  It may also become a book.  I would treasure your company as I journey through this.  Your thoughts and questions always lift me up.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

“Only a few find the way, some don’t recognize it when they do – some… don’t ever want to.” – Lewis Carrol – Cheshire Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment