13 October 2020

Enchanted ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

“Don’t be a fool.  He is under no enchantment but his own.” – Gandalf the Grey, The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien

As October sets upon us, I think of all my friends and relatives who crave the celebration of Halloween.  My friend Ashli is vigilant over this celebration and can be quite creative about it.  My sisters, Echo and Ivy also find great enjoyment and are quite enchanted by the festivities.


What, you may ask, does that have to do with Gandalf the Grey?  When the Hobbit and the Dwarves escape the Goblins in the Misty Mountains, they are delivered by the eagles to the territory guarded by Beorn.   Ori and Dori are specifically worried about being in the presence of a Skin-Changer.  Dori offers that he must be under some evil enchantment.  That is how we get the line above. 

It is quite revealing that the dwarves, aware of the power of evil and magic in the world, seek an outside source to explain Beorn’s condition.  Beorn is aware of the power he wields and of what he becomes.  The dwarves do what we often do and seek to blame an outside force for what he is.

I want to ponder what enchantments we believe and how we blame circumstances on things that we think have power over us.  In following Christ, I am declared free from other influences.  How far then does this go?  What is my defense against other factors?  I must learn who I am and then see what enchants me and its source.  I am not speaking of magic or wizardry.  Rather, I seek to undo the more common and just as powerful incantations in the mind. I wish to be sure that I am not blaming outside forces for my own foibles.

As we approach All Hallows Eve and what for me becomes the most enchanting months of the year, I would build a bit of freedom from the things in my mind that hinder following Christ.  I invite you to journey with me as I firm my grip on embracing the freedom I have and deepening my faith and following relative to the enchantments we face.  As always, Dear Reader, your thoughts and questions are vital, valued, and welcome.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook      
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

“Don’t be a fool.  He is under no enchantment but his own.” – Gandalf the Grey, The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien

 

No comments:

Post a Comment