23 September 2021

The Chosen ~ Adoni El Roi

Greetings Dear Reader, 

There will be spoilers.  This is your only warning.  This BLOG series will walk through each episode of the first two seasons of the amazing show The Chosen available free to watch at the link.  If you have not seen it, I encourage you to do so.  It is by far the best adaptation of the Gospels to film I have ever encountered. 

One of the scenes I play repeatedly is the one with the conversation between Nicodemus and Zohara.  They are discussing their life whilst Nicodemus considers the invitation from Jesus to follow him.  I realize from a Bible perspective this is all fiction.  Still, it encapsulates something we must all consider and something Jesus addressed. 

This Pharisee and his wife have a very rich life.  Nicodemus is an honest man who cares more for truth than tradition.  We see his character evolve into someone who seeks Jesus and recognizes him as Messiah.  History tells us he believed and so far, in the show we know he chose to remain in his comfortable life. 

Their conversation, however, has some important things to teach me and I am trying to cement them into my thinking.  The most important is the discussion about Hagar.  Hagar refers to the Fathe as Adoni El Roi; The LORD, the God who sees me.  Nicodemus and Zohara have two quite different views of what Hagar meant.  

Zohara takes Hagar’s words to mean “When we stumble onto hard roads, he finds us and comforts us.”  This is always true with the exception of the fact that the Father never loses us.  God is with us even when we ignore him.  When we are on a hard road, he is there to meet us if we seek him.  He comforts us if we allow it.  My road is difficult but not hard right now and the Father is constantly there for me.  

I must also recognize the deep truth of Nicodemus’ response to Zohara: “Or does he call us to them?”  This abiding constant truth can seem a contradiction to us.  The one who promises an easy yoke and light burden also call us to carry our cross on a hard road.  The comfort in the contrast is The LORD sees me, leads me, and comforts me in the way.  He is with me at all times and all I need to do is seek him in every moment. 

It is in the seeking with the heart we find God.  We all face the choice Nicodemus faces.  Are we willing to give up what we have to follow Jesus completely?  I have seen the Father remove everything I allow to get between me and following the Son.  It is not an easy road but it is filled with joy.  Physical, mental, and emotional pain try to distract me from it.  I must not allow it. 

As I get closer to the release of this new novel, dedicated to loving the Father above all else by loving all my fellow humans, the road seems harder.  Still, The Judas Scroll invites us to choose between to views of the Father.  I ask you at the outset to really see Judas.  It is in honest seeing we find the freedom to love those the Father loves. 

I must embrace the road I am led to and walk it knowing Christ is with me.  I must engage with the LORD, the God who sees me, and refuse to doubt he has my heart and mind in his hands when I allow it.  He will guide me where I need to be so I may love him more deeply.  It is all that matters, Dear Reader.  It is all that will remain. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

The LORD, The God who sees me: “When we stumble onto hard roads, he finds us and comforts us. Or does he call us to them?”

No comments:

Post a Comment