07 September 2021

The Chosen ~ S02E04c "The Perfect Opportunity" – Tabernacles and Crosses

Greetings Dear Reader, 

There will be spoilers.  This is your only warning.  This BLOG series will walk through each episode of the first two seasons of the amazing show The Chosen available free to watch at the link.  If you have not seen it, I encourage you to do so.  It is by far the best adaptation of the Gospels to film I have ever encountered. 

As I mentioned, there was a third thing about this episode percolating in my brain.  This episode contains so much I could write at least two more but I will move on.  I may come back to a few things as I move forward after the list of episodes.  I realize outside of the annual Christmas series this is the longest I have written about a single topic.  It is because there is so much in the show urging me to follow Jesus more closely. 


The backdrop of this episode is the Feast of Tabernacles.  We know Jesus attended this.  It is our first look at Jerusalem with an adult Jesus and his followers.  It is also a harsh awakening from the joy of our journey with Jesus through his ministry.  The Feast of Tabernacles serves to remind us of the time Israel spent wandering the desert.  They were totally dependent upon the Father for their provision.  The Feast is an equalizer of the people reminding them to be humble before God. 

The awakening is the entry into Jerusalem.  First Simon the Zealot and then Jesus enter the city through a Roman checkpoint.  Just outside the gates are men being crucified.  Simon sees it and it gives him pause.  Jesus sees it and we are all given pause.  The levity of other moments is forgotten as Jesus looks up at the crosses and sadness is in his eyes.  We can no longer deny where we are headed.  It is to the cross. 

Long before he begins to speak of his death, Jesus says we must take up our cross to follow him.  Every aspect of the cost is seen in the moment where Jesus looks at the crucified men.  The entire idea of life is to shoulder the cross and follow Jesus.  I get a glimpse of this in Jesus headed to heal Jesse at the Pool of Bethesda.  

I cannot afford to forget the sober somberness of this moment.  Jesus is headed to the cross for me.  Every moment of joy and levity is punctuated by this truth.  Every trip to Jerusalem for him is a reminder to me of the truth of his suffering and my calling.  I must revel in the things bringing Jesus joy.  I must see the mirth in the interactions of Christ and his disciples.  I must sing and dance with him at the richness of a life devoted to the Father, Dear Reader.  I must, however, do it all with my cross firmly notched over my shoulder, reminding me of the true cost of my redemption.  It is the only way to follow Jesus home. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

“You don’t need this pool; you only need me.  So, do you want to be healed?”

No comments:

Post a Comment