10 September 2021

The Chosen ~ S02E07a “Reckoning” Quintus

Greetings Dear Reader, 

There will be spoilers.  This is your only warning.  This BLOG series will walk through each episode of the first two seasons of the amazing show The Chosen available free to watch at the link.  If you have not seen it, I encourage you to do so.  It is by far the best adaptation of the Gospels to film I have ever encountered. 

I have mentioned Quintus before but now he is in the spotlight.  His character develops over conversations with Matthew and his fellow Romans.  In this episode, he has a pivotal interaction with Jesus.  Having Jesus arrested shows the real danger the throng following Jesus faces.  In his interactions, we see just how dangerous Quintus is. 

The first thing I noted about him is how jaded he is.  He mocks fealty to the Emperor to someone who outranks him.  He clearly respects no one.  Further, he comprehends no power in Galilee beyond his own.  Every Roman under him fears him in some way.  He imagines his power greater than it is. 

In his conversation with Jesus, he dismisses miracles, calls Jews odious, and does not grasp the power in his presence.  In contrast, we see Atticus does begin to get it.  To everything Quintus says, Jesus responds politely and truthfully.  Jesus respects the man’s office even though he is threatened and insulted.  Even when Jesus politely refuses to stop causing trouble, the Roman is drawn to him.   Quintus likes Jesus and concludes Jesus is not a threat. 

What burns in my mind is how other viewers feel about Quintus.  He clearly hates Jews.  He also sees the value of anyone who furthers his purposes.  Jesus is stirring up trouble and causing unrest in Quintus' district.  He will kill to avoid trouble or embarrassment.  I, therefore, come to the same question about Quintus, I have about Judas in The Judas Scroll.   Do you love him, Dear Reader? 

We have the advantage of having read the Gospels.  If I am to follow Christ and live his example, I must show respect to Quintus and his office. I must hope for him to see Jesus for who he is.  I am required to love Quintus. 

No matter what my enemy does, Jesus gave me a clear command to love my enemy.  Quintus is a political, social, and religious enemy.  None of these cause Jesus to insult or revile him.  I must take up the cross upon which Quintus would gladly fasten me and love the Roman as I carry it.  After all, Dear Reader, Jesus promised it is a blessing to be reviled and persecuted.  This is following and it is required.  We must fit this into our own politics, sociology, and religion or we are not following Christ. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

“Did I hail already?  How can I serve him today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment