16 September 2021

The Chosen ~ Mary Magdalen’s Story Thus Far

Greetings Dear Reader, 

There will be spoilers.  This is your only warning.  This BLOG series will walk through each episode of the first two seasons of the amazing show The Chosen available free to watch at the link.  If you have not seen it, I encourage you to do so.  It is by far the best adaptation of the Gospels to film I have ever encountered. 

As promised, here are some thoughts on Mary Magdalen in The Chosen thus far.  First, let me thank Elizabeth Tabish for her amazing performance as the woman who seems to be as complex in reality as she is in the show.  Mary has been represented as many things through the century and most of them are without foundation.  I applaud The Chosen for portraying her strengths and flaws equally well.  

No matter what any of us thinks of her, it is clear she is integral to the ministry of Jesus throughout its duration.  It is not as important to consider her past as it is to see what she becomes.  She evolves into a faithful follower of Jesus.  In the show, she often has better insight into Jesus’ character and intent than the Apostles. 

At one point Mary says, He’s not waiting for us to be Holy. I think he’s here because we can’t be Holy without Him.”  This alone gives me pause.  It is a universally true thing concerning our reclamation.  We cannot achieve our own holiness.  We must become dependent upon Jesus.

 For all my years of struggling to be righteous, I  failed because I was trying to become something without seeing how I was.  I tried to live righteously without allowing the Father to use the Spirit to work it out within me.  I failed.  Time and again, trying to hide the inner struggles caused me to control instead of being in the moment with Jesus.  Repeatedly I chose to try to be right instead of letting the Father work out righteousness in me. 

If I am to follow Christ, I must allow each moment to become one of holy evolution wherein I change because of Jesus.  It is not a life change.  It is a change wrought by yielding to the Spirit and meeting Christ in each moment so I may love the Father more deeply.  Mary’s statement, "I was one way and now I am completely different. And the thing that happened in between was Him,” must become the bridge between every instant of my life.  We must live, and move, and have our being in Christ if we are to follow him with any success. 

When Mary fails or succeeds, I am encouraged.  I think we can all be, Dear Reader.  It is enough to be willing to change.  The Spirit will work out the rest and if necessary, even give us the will.  As Mary’s story continues to unfold, I hope I can find more things to take away allowing me to love Jesus more deeply.  

The Judas Scroll.   -  Preorder my new novel here. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

"I was one way and now I am completely different. And the thing that happened in between was Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment