01 September 2021

The Chosen ~ S02E01a “Thunder:”

Greetings Dear Reader, 

There will be spoilers.  This is your only warning.  This BLOG series will walk through each episode of the first two seasons of the amazing show The Chosen available free to watch at the link.  If you have not seen it, I encourage you to do so.  It is by far the best adaptation of the Gospels to film I have ever encountered. 

The small letter “a” after the episode number above indicates I will be taking two days to talk about this episode.  I am so overcome by the opening scene before the credits I believe I could write about it for a week.  It is not what I expected since we left Jesus headed to Sychar with his band of merry followers.  


Instead, the episode opens with John interviewing the others whilst they sit Shiva over big James, his brother.  If you do not understand, James is dead.  It is farther in the future.  The other followers are recounting to John their first meeting with Jesus.  The darkness of the scene echoes the darkness of mourning the death of James.  It also serves to create contrast to the joy of retelling the stories associated with meeting Jesus. 

I can recall the first time I understood who Jesus is.  I was sitting on the bank of the Flint River at Evans Mill.  The Saturday afternoon summer sun was drying my shorts from my recent slide on the rocks into the eddy pool by the old mill wheel.  My Grandfather was returning to fishing and urging me to do the same.  He looked at me and said, “Let’s catch some fish today to share when we fish for men tomorrow.” 

I asked him what he meant and he explained about Jesus making Peter and Andrew fishers of men.  I was still confused so the simply explained how Jesus is the Son of God and he came to earth to take away sin from the world.  It was the first time I heard the Gospel but I did not grasp it.  I would not accept it for another eight years. 

Still, simply recalling when I first understood the nature of Jesus brings joy to my heart, Dear Reader.  The first step of learning who Jesus is has brought me on this long strange journey.  So many days I long to discuss Jesus with my Grandfather but I must wait until we are both with him.  Still, the simple explanation he gave me beats any I have read or imagined since.   

I would urge you to try and recall  your first moment of grasping who Jesus is, Dear  Reader.  When you meet him things change one way or another.  When you choose to believe in his place in your life, things change forever.  This is why I write.  It is why I work on being a better follower.  Welcome to season two.  Please, tell me your story. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

“In the beginning was the Word.  The Word was with God and the Word was God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment