08 September 2021

The Chosen ~ S02E05 “Spirit”

Greetings Dear Reader, 

There will be spoilers.  This is your only warning.  This BLOG series will walk through each episode of the first two seasons of the amazing show The Chosen available free to watch at the link.  If you have not seen it, I encourage you to do so.  It is by far the best adaptation of the Gospels to film I have ever encountered. 

There is so much in this episode but I will cover some of it in my extra-episode posts.  I plan an entire post on Mary Magdaline and her story arc thus far.  What catches me in this episode is the confirmation to everyone of Jesus’ power and authority.  From the conversation with John the Baptizer to the four-word banishment of a demon, we see all eyes turning to the power carried in the human we have seen growing more visible as GOD. 


The idea of Jesus being Immanuel is so clear as the episode unfolds.  Even the Psalm being memorized reminds us of this.  “If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.” Psalm 139:8.  The idea is clear.  Jesus wants his followers to know he is always with them.  He wants them to see his purpose and how it is being revealed.  He desires for his followers to do things his way. 

The Theme of impatience is here as well.   We get our longest interaction with John the Baptizer and it includes his conclusion, “I am just impatient for you to get to work.”   Almost every one of Jesus’ followers has expressed their desire for Messiah to get busy establishing his physical kingdom.  He makes it clear in his discussion with Simon the Zealot it is not like they think.  This theme has been present since season one episode three. 

In all the interactions of this episode, we are reminded of at least two applicable truths.  The first is the eternal truth of Jesus always being with us.  He is Immanuel.  He has come and is with us always.  It is our duty to see him in every moment.  It is my obligation to look for him as I take each step. 

The second vital truth is to understand how little we understand.  His followers do not get he comes in peace to take away the sin of the world.  In his meekness resides all the power of the universe.  Even the Holy Spirit takes on humility by residing in us.  God is with us.  We are the ones who fail to see him and live like it.  

Even the resistance I find in Christ-followers to The Chosen baffles me.   Others binge the latest season of their favorite show but will not invest time in watching an honest representation of Jesus as a man who is also God coming to ransom us.  I cannot say strongly enough; this show is different from any I have seen.  I challenge you to invest your time in it, Dear Reader.  Then I challenge you to share it with others as well.  Then again, we have the same challenge with the Gospel in general and do not do so well at it. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

“Our people really need a better variety of names.”

No comments:

Post a Comment