05 December 2017

Second Thoughts ~ Christmas Joys ~ Clerks and Wait Staff

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

“Be nice to sales people.  They are often wearier than you are.”

To my shame, when I was younger I was not always patient with service personnel.  We were dining at a nice restaurant whilst on vacation.  The server came to our table and was quite rude when she greeted us.  After she took our drink order and walked away my eldest Son, Maxim said this:

“Dad, please don’t get mad.  I like this place already.”  He was only eight.

In that moment I began to get an understanding of how hard I could be on people who I thought were not doing the job right.  It took some time buy I have learned to be kind, patient, and understanding.  We find it too easy to judge without knowing what fuels the person behind the counter or holding the order pad.  It is too easy to forget that this person has a life, struggles, and needs. 

My schedule, wants, and feelings must not precede my duty to love and kindness to those who earn their living serving those things.  I held my temper for the sake of Maxim that day.  The waitress continued to be rude and flagrantly and intently bad at her job.  I learned that I could put my feelings aside for the sake of being good.  It became an excellent illustration of how to overcome my own feelings for the sake of those around me.

This is a Christmas joy that I attempt to practice all the year.   Every clerk, waitress, cashier, or vendor is worthy of my kindness.  They deserve my best.  I want those transactions to leave the person serving me feeling loved and valued.  Not just a good tip but good treatment is my passion. 

Maxim is good at this as well.  Whilst he was working his way through college he worked as a clerk at a servo.   A friend who had not met him asked me if he worked at that very one.  I said that he did.  She remarked that she knew he had to be my Son because of the genuine way in which he wished her well as she paid for her gas and coffee.  That is the point is it not Dear Reader?  We must spread joy by being kind and good to others in small but memorable ways.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment