02 December 2017

The Promises of Christmas ~ The Salvation Army

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

This is one of those sounds for which my spirit waits every year.  The sound of small bells ringing across a parking lot or in shop is a sound of Christmas for me.  The excitement starts for me in early November when I go to Ringbells.org to sign up for my bell ringing shifts.  I choose the ones that will work best for my family.  Then I choose a couple of shifts that are just for me.

Some things I would point out about this organization in this country are very important.  Ninety-three percent of every dollar collected makes it to people the Salvation Army supports.  They do not discriminate in any way as to who receives their support.  They mobilize thousands of volunteers every year. 

This organization is the inspiration and soul of the song Silver Bells.  The promise of that sound is that needy people will get help.  It is the promise that the homeless men, women, and children will get a bed for the night safe from the cold.  It is the promise that helps us remember there are others in need.

I find great joy in this tradition and hope that you can make time to volunteer to help.  The link above will get you started no matter where you live in the US.  I am not sure how they do it in the rest of the world.  If you do this Dear Reader please write me and tell me about it.  I would love to hear your story.

I have my own silver bell that I bought at a Salvation Army thrift store.  I use it for my shifts.  Listen for the sound.  Give a penny, a dollar, your time.  Every bit matters.

Silver Bells – Martina McBride

City sidewalks, busy sidewalks
Dressed in holiday style
In the air there's a feeling of Christmas
Children laughing, people passing
Meeting smile after smile
And on every street corner you hear

Silver bells, (silver bells) silver bells (silver bells)
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, (ring-a-ling)
Hear them ring, (hear them ring)
Soon it will be Christmas day

Strings of street lights, even stoplights
Blink a bright red and green
As the shoppers rush home with their treasures
Hear the snow crunch, see the kids bunch
This is Santa's big day
And above all this bustle you hear

Silver bells, silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, (ring-a-ling) hear them ring
Soon it will be Christmas day

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment