08 December 2017

The Promises of Christmas ~ Fruitcake (YES Fruitcake)

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

Fifty-two miles west of Savannah, between Daisy and Belville lies a sleepy southern town. With a population of about twenty-five hundred there is not much industry.  There is a poultry processing plant that provides fresh from the farm poultry that is of the finest quality.  This small Georgia town is world famous for another reason.  It is the home of Claxton Fruitcake made by the Georgia Fruitcake Company.

For over a century fresh fruit and nuts have been baked into this seasonal delight that I first encountered with my Grandfather.   He and I would have fruitcake whilst we watched television during the Christmas season.  It is one of the hallmarks for me of Christmas joy.

I realize that fruitcake is much maligned and hated by those who have never had it.  I must disagree.  I love fruitcake.  I am, however, a purist.  I do not love all fruitcake and I enjoy Claxton the most.  I understand that some of you see my approval as the final proof that I am mad.

There is a Christmas promise in this concoction that we can all embrace.  Whether you like fruit cake or think those who do nuttier than one, the humble fruitcake reminds us of Christmas.  Even when I pull one from the freezer in June to celebrate my late Grandfather’s birthday I am transported to the memories of him and our time together at Christmas. 

You may not like it and you may get it as a gift.  You surely know someone who does.  Claxton sells five million pounds a year.  Someone is buying it on purpose.  Pass it on to them.  The promise is that there will be joy in their hearts on receiving it.  

Everyone does not love you.  Some will and do.  The real promise is like the fruitcake: there may be those who dismiss us out of hand.  There will be those who love you and they will be all the more precious because they see us as we are and still love us.  Now I need some fruitcake and eggnog.  How about you Dear Reader?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)



No comments:

Post a Comment