11 September 2018

Journey Me ~ A New Talisman


Greetings Dear Reader,

During April of 2015 I wrote at length about Talismans.  Most have been packed away for now.  I had to leave a few behind out of necessity.  I have a new one that I carry with me at all times.  It reminds me of what has been lost, the cost of the journey, and the only hope that I have left.

Recently someone commented on how dark my writing is of late.  Even though I journey through a dark place, I am not out of hope.  If I am to be real in this venue there will be times when the darkness is strong, cloying, and oppressive.  There will be days when even the noon day sun cannot chase away the shadows.  That does not mean that there is no hope.  It does mean I need a reminder of where that hope must lie.

This talisman serves several reminders.  On the face it has inscribed “Footprints in the Sand”.  The authorship is disputed and there are even different versions of the text.  Here is one of them:

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only.
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand.
 Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”
The Lord replied, “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.”

Some days I feel I need to be carried through the entire day.  Some days the road beneath my feet feels like I am actually walking with Christ.  This talisman reminds me of both.  It also reminds me that I can count on Christ to carry those who know him but are not following as they should until they find their feet again.

The talisman also provides light and warmth.  It gives me a reminder that there is always a light in time of need.  There is always a way out of the darkness if we choose it.  It is a symbol of hope; a reminder of the LIGHT. 

This talisman is not mine.  It was a gift given to another as a symbol of promise and trust.  It was left behind along with the promises and the trust.  I carry it to remind me that I never give up on people.  I never stop loving and believing.  I cannot force anyone else to follow Christ.  I can love them and beg the Father to have mercy on them.  I can own my failures and forgive theirs. 

As I seek the path out of the wilderness and back to life that matters for Christ, I carry with me this holy talisman that has no power of its own.  Yet is does.  It has the power to remind me.  I hold it when I pray for those who have left the journey for other pursuits.  I remember who carries me when the loneliness grips me in it ravenous jaws.  It becomes my “Light of Earendil” when needed. 

I hope deeply to return this talisman to its rightful owner.  For now, however, I will keep it safe and use it to move me closer to home.  There is always room at my side to travel with me Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment