05 September 2018

We Can Be Heroes ~ I am NOT a Hero


Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday I received a comment that simply said, “you are no hero”.  That is the absolute truth.  I am not a hero.  I am a failed, flawed human who to some people is only seen through the lens of his worst moments.  I do not want you to think that I am trying to say here that I am heroic.  That would be prideful and wrong.

by nevux
I am trying to say that we can be heroes.  We are born to be much more than we allow ourselves to be.  We have the opportunity to be heroic in moments.  I think of the scene in Cyrano De Bergerac when Roxanne lauds him for having bested one hundred men.  He has listened to the woman he secretly loves talk about her love for another man.  As she leaves she says how brave he is.  His response, “I have done better since.”

It may be that no one sees the battles we fight that really matter.  It is possible that we fight our hardest fights when no one else is aware.  There is in us, if we choose it, the power to win those battles.  We cannot promise that others will understand or care.  We cannot always defend our choices.  We do fail and falter and fall.

At the end of the first Avengers movie there are people blaming the Avengers for the destruction.  It sets the stage for the continuation of the story but it also gives us a view into something else.  We cannot count on others to understand why we do all that we do.  I am not a hero.  I am not too far from failure at any given moment. 

What makes the difference is not how I have failed in the past.  Rather, it is what I do in the next moment that matters.  It does not matter what good I have done in the past.  If I do not choose good in this moment then I will be judged by this moment.  Even if I do choose good there will be those who do not see it.  We are not, however, playing for the crowd.   All that matters is that I follow Christ in the moment and let him be the hero.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment