15 September 2018

Journey Me ~ Purpose over Practice


Greetings Dear Reader,

I often wonder why we do some of the things we do in our lives.  As I began this part of the journey I mentioned that I visited three very different churches last weekend.  In every situation I found that I was pondering the “why” of things that were done.

I know some of the answers.  Some traditional practices make sense to me.  Some of them seem ridiculous.  Even the things that seem ridiculous are not mine to ridicule.  I am, however, searching for something specific.  I have only seen it in two churches in my life and neither of those were perfect churches.

My Grandfather used to say, “If you think you have found a perfect church, do not join it. You will ruin it because you are not perfect.”  We are not perfect and yet we demand perfection of others.  We expect a church to meet our wants and needs. We do not often enough seek the purpose of a thing before we criticize or we seek the purpose by being critical.

Since every church is composed of flawed failed humans trying to get home, we need to realize that they are not going to do everything the way we would.  We need to accept that at some point there was a purpose to the adopted practices and learn about them.  The understanding can lead to less judgement and more love.

As a Christ follower I must always understand the purpose behind my adopted practices.  There are very few right ways to do things but I am prone to think of my way as the right way.  As I journey I must abandon the dead weight of this belief.  I must purpose to have love for the Father and my fellow travelers as my primary purpose.  If I build on that then things will be vastly different.  If I can do that perhaps I will fail less often.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment