27 September 2018

Sing You Home ~ The Problem with Homes


Greetings Dear Reader,

Not for a moment do I wish to imply that it is wrong to have a home or to build something that we call our own.  I do need to think through the value we place in something that is a specter of what we are meant for; where we are headed.  It is in the gulf between these two things that we consume so much of our life and resources.

Living alone for the last few years has taught me that home has very little to do with where we are and what we own.  Some find solace in these things but there is little that we possess that can be a companion to us late in the evening as we sit by the fire alone with our thoughts and feelings.  I have learned that almost every “thing” that is a measure of comfort is transient and does not really suffice.  The few things that are really precious to me are quite portable. 

Reducing what I possess to what I can take with me has taught me that I still have too much.  Some things are still retained for sentiment.  The purpose is, therefore, something still attached to this place.  Again, it is not wrong until it becomes a hindrance to the journey.  When I have too many things I become anchored to the wrong things.  I cannot sing you HOME if I am anchored to a false home.

I have been in several homes these last few weeks.  The common threads there are the way a home tells the story of the people in it.  Collections, knickknacks, and pictures tell the tale of a life or a family in whatever part of the journey it lies.  Still too much of it also speaks of the cares of this world and not of the journey HOME.

We all long for home but it seems that more and more we long for the wrong one.  We seek the temporal, the fleeting, and the shadow when we are meant to journey toward the eternal HOME.  I think about the time before I was shackled to the hope of a knock at the door and feet approaching.  It was then that I longed to journey ever onward, ever upward.  It was then that my heart burned to follow Christ alone and to sing others along the path with me.

As I try to sing you HOME Dear Reader, I hope not to sing you to me but to awaken you from the trance in which the home fire has you. I sing so that you will remember to journey and to follow Christ.  I do long for your companionship as we go but that is something that may only be real should we both be following.

It is not wrong to sit beside the fire and think unless doing so keeps us from journeying in the morning.  So, I give you a song about sitting beside the fire to remind you of the wonders of the journey.  Please, Dear Reader do not forget to follow. 

I Sit Beside the Fire and Think – J.R.R. Tolkien – Performed by CamillasChoice

I sit beside the fire and think of all that I have seen,
Of meadow-flowers and butterflies in summers that have been
Of yellow leaves and gossamer in autumns that there were,
With morning mist and silver sun and wind upon my hair

I sit beside the fire and think of how the world will be
When winter comes without a spring that I shall ever see
For still there are so many things that I have never seen,
In every wood in every spring there is a different green

I sit beside the fire and think of people long ago,
Of people who will see a world that i shall never know
But all the while I sit and think of times there were before

I listen for returning feet and voices at the door

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment