06 September 2018

Second Thoughts ~ Learning a Language I Already Know (Y’all)


Greetings Dear Reader,

Being back in the South is interesting in many ways.  The ways in which it differs from the Midwest is quite significant.  The pace and timbre of life is subdued and deliberate. 

The thing that I am most intrigued by is just how much of the Southern way of speaking is different from that which I have become accustomed over the last two decades.  The conversations I am in are not that different.  The ones I hear between locals are very different. Between the Southern dialect, colloquial expression, and local slang I find that I am having to relearn a language I have known my entire life.

Further I am finding another unexpected challenge.  In the Midwest my natural friendliness and propensity for polite interaction is unusual.  It gains a foothold for me in most encounters.  Here my “Southern charm” is as common as Kudzu.  It is necessary that I find better ways to express kindness and compassion for others.

In the midst of so many other changes I am seeing that I cannot count on anything that is the norm for me.  I am learning that what seems special to one location is the norm in another.  What has been my standard must become revitalized and refreshed.  That is what it is about; learning to be new every moment for the sake of living in the moment.  In that I will become better at following Christ.

Embracing the things that make the South unique will be fun.  In it I hope to also find new and better ways to express love, kindness, and compassion. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment