04 August 2019

Carpentry 101 ~ Splinters, Specks, and Beams

Greetings Dear Reader,

There is a photo of me that I hope never surfaces.  It is somewhere in the vast sea of photos that my mum has from when we took pictures with cameras on film and had to get them developed somewhere.  I was eleven when it was taken. In this photo, my face is in agony as my dad is removing a large splinter from the space between my thumb and index finger.

At the time the pain was real and I did not handle it well.  I have done better since.  I have had many splinters and learned some less painful ways of extracting them.  As I said earlier in this series, I am not a carpenter but I do work with wood on occasion. 

If one works with wood one is going to get splinters.  One will get wood specs in the eye even when wearing protective eyewear.   There are injuries that come from carpentry.  My Grandfather once cut his hand with a band saw almost to the wrist.  This happened before I was born.  The saw went between his index and middle fingers and he had pins in his hand so he could still use it.  He always stressed safety even with the smallest woodworking project we did together.  He made it clear that the injury was his fault because he did not respect the tools and the process. 

First-century carpenters did not have power tools but there were still dangers.  There was also not advanced medical care to help when injuries did occur.  We do not know if Jesus ever was injured.  We do know that working day in and day out with raw lumber make the likelihood quite high.  The thing we need to keep in focus is that he was human and subject to our weaknesses. 

This carpentry trade makes one of Jesus’ statements so poignant to me.  When he speaks about judging others, the Carpenter uses an example that is clear and resonates with us all. “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.”

If I frame this well in my own life, it leaves me with no room to pass judgment on anyone else.  Just to be clear, saying that something is wrong is not judging someone.  It is condemning the person that is wrong.  We are all crooked sticks and we all fall short of the mark.  I must not condemn anyone else.  I must realize that their need for love, grace, kindness, and mercy is as deep as mine.   It is the Carpenter who comes to remove our beams, splinters, and specks so that we can see clearly to show his love to others.  I want to help you with the speck in your eye if you need assistance.  Just let me get this two-by-four out of mine and I will be right there.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon           
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   
This BLOG:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/  

No comments:

Post a Comment