16 August 2019

On the Willows ~ Opening Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

We have journeyed through songs stuck in my head before.  Since I posted the song On the Willows from Godspell it has been running through my mind bumping against the other flotsam and jetsam there.  It is a good song and has been especially strong during my morning prayer time.  I have learned not to ignore the songs stuck on repeat in my internal MP3 player.

Another aspect of this is that the entire story that Godspell tries to tell relative to community and Christ is also a sub-current in my thoughts.  One of the ways that I raise the purpose of song loops from the basement of my brain is to walk through it here.  This will be my intent over the next few days. 

For those of you who find Godspell offensive, please try to look past the costumes and presentation of the tale.  Perhaps the words and music have something for everyone.  They always have for me.  I watched this film over and over again when it first premiered.  One of my activities in high school was being an AV guy.  We showed this film three times a day for a week during student free time.  I was the guy showing it during the last part of the school day.

I had just found my faith in Christ and was making the journey from new faith to faith formation during this time.  This song was beautiful and deep to my young mind and heart.  I invite you to walk through it with me Dear Reader as I attempt to discern why it has surfaced so vibrantly in my thinking over the last couple of weeks.  As always, I find joy in you sharing your thoughts and questions as well.

On the Willows – Steven Schwartz - Godspell

On the willows, there,
We hung up our lives,
For our captors there,
Required,
Of us songs,
And our tormentors mirth.
On the willows, there,
We hung up our lyres,
For our captors there,
Required,
Of us songs,
And our tormentor's mirth.
Saying,
Sing us one,
Of the songs of Zion,
Sing us one,
Of the songs of Zion
But how can we sing,
Sing the Lord's song,
In a foreign land?
On the willows, there,
We hung up our lives.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon           
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment