17 August 2019

On the Willows ~ The Verse


Greetings Dear Reader,

The song I ponder is from Godspell but the origin of the words is the Psalms.  It would be inappropriate to consider the song in-depth without honoring the verses from which it came.  Here is the text, not in my favorite translation of it but the one most suitable for common consumption.  There is no change in meaning between the translations but I prefer my Psalms in King James English where many do not.

Psalm 137: 1 - 6 (NASB)
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down and wept when we remembered Zion.  Upon the willows in the midst of it, we hung our lyres.  For there our captors demanded of us songs, and our tormentors mirth, saying, “sing us one of the songs of Zion.”  How can we sing the Lord’s song in a foreign land?  If I forget you, O Jerusalem, may my right hand forget her skill. May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you If I do not exalt Jerusalem above my chief joy.

The background of this song is the time during which the people of Israel were held captive in Babylon.  Jerusalem lay barren and razed.  The temple is in ruin.  The worships songs were no longer sung as their worship was forbidden.  Then, they were asked to sing the Lord’s songs in a place not sanctified to him.  The Psalm is primarily attributed to Jeremiah the prophet in both Rabbinical literature and the Septuagint.  The Psalm is also dedicated to David.

What catches my focus is the pain it must have caused people of faith to be required to sing songs of the Lord in a place where worshiping him was forbidden. I will draw a contemporary parallel to that a bit further down the path.  I seem memes that mock my faith too often.  It does not anger me.  It hurts.  A nation that has “in God we trust” on its currency only uses his name as an expletive.  I realize that everyone does not share my faith and I do not dismiss or hate anyone who disagrees with me.  I only wish that we still had the character to respect each other. 

I often feel that I sing the Lord’s songs and try to write his stories in a strange land.  I also do not want to forget that every place belongs to the Father and that I can, therefore, feel at home with him in any place.  I also wish, Dear Reader, to never forget what once was and will be again.

I do not mean Jerusalem.  I wish that city only peace.  I consider rather the day when Mount Zion will again be the city of the Great King.  I long for it to be today, now, this instant.  I also long for all things to be good again as when they were new.  This longing is not the whole answer to my current song loop, but it is a piece of it.  I weep at times for the state of our world and the many things we have lost along the way.  Then I am reminded that it will not always be thus.  I will reach the city or the King will come for me.  We will not have to believe.  We will see.  This is not the answer but it is part of what will get me there.  Shall we keep walking Dear Reader?  Here is a song to see us a bit further down the road.

Waters of Babylon – Don McClean

By the waters,
The waters,
Of Babylon.
We lay down and wept,
And wept, For thee Zion.
We remember thee
Remember thee
Remember thee
Zion.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:

Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon           
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment