22 January 2021

Second Thoughts ~ Things That Will Change Forever

Greetings Dear Reader,

When you meet someone as a young boy and they become your hero, there is always the chance that he or she will let you down.  This man never did.  He was the first African American man I ever met.  He and I shared a love for baseball and he set a fine example as a hard-working player and as a gentleman.


My Grandfather and I spoke to him often during the three years that we got to attend Braves games together.  He would always come over to our box seats.  He and my Grandfather would talk about fishing, fastballs, and the farmer’s market.  Once in a while, my Grandfather would pass him a jar of my Grandmother’s homemade pear preserves.

Henry Aaron always had a kind word for me unless he was focused on the game.  Then he would nod as he trotted in from the outfield.  This kind gentleman left a permanent mark on me regarding baseball, sportsmanship, humanity, and race.  Who he was and the way in which he treated others was profound to my young mind. 

His passing today has changed some things forever.  My Son, Bezel noted that he is likely having a catch with my Grandfather.  I think it more likely that my Grandfather is pitching batting practice just so he can hear and watch Henry knock them out of the park.  I can hear the sound of the swing, the crack of the bat, and the whoosh as the ball sails away to land over the fence.

I skipped school to watch him hit number 715 on April 8,1974.  I was only a week away from the encounter that would cement my relationship with Christ.  I was much further away than my Grandfather’s box seats, long since forgotten by those entrusted with them.  After that day, I would be in proximity to Henry Aaron one more time.

He was at the Varsity, much older and still quietly humble.  I walked up to him and reminded him of my Grandfather and the wiggly little boy in the early years of the Atlanta Braves.  He remembered my Grandfather and called him by name.  Ever kind and a gentleman, he inquired if I still loved baseball.  I assured him that I did.  He was on his way out so I hindered him no further. 

As the world loses Henry Aaron today, I feel the loss so deeply.  Tears are unexpected but make sense as I lose something so central to my childhood.  I offer my condolences to his family and honor who Henry Aaron will always be to me.  Tonight, I will wear my feather sleeve Braves jersey with his number on it and raise a glass to him.  If you are taking batting practice with my Grandfather, hit one out for me please sir.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon                       
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook
Twitter        
Medium
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

 

“The thing I like about baseball is that it's one-on-one. You stand up there alone, and if you make a mistake, it's your mistake. If you hit a home run, it's your home run.” – Henry Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment