24 March 2021

A Theology of Love ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader, 

As I develop my thoughts and questions on Following Christ, I find that there is an order to things that is different from Systematic Theology.  One of my friends, Tripp refers to it as Thornian Theology.   As I complete my preparation for Holy Week, which begins on Sunday, I want to outline my approach to God in a bit of formality. 

This is not going to be dry or impersonal.  It will be scaffolded.  I am trying to stand in the right place to follow my theme through Holy Week without being arrogant or prideful.  I wish to take a few days to erect that scaffolding and get my footing.  Please understand that this is not me proscribing anything.  It is my attempt to think through my journey with Christ in a way that I can relate to others so that I may share my hope and joy in that journey. 

I will begin with the obvious.  Then I will move on to that which may not be as clear but is built on the priory principles we establish.  The obvious foundation is love.  Since the Father is love, we as his creations must strive to be this as well.  When Jesus told us that loving the Father is our foundational command, he added that loving each other is like it.  This seems simple but it is narrow and complex.  

If we follow the words of Christ through the Gospels, love is to be extended to everyone we can consider.   Whether we ponder strangers, friends, neighbors, or enemies, Jesus insists that we approach them in love.  Further, he insists that love is our benchmark by which we are recognized as his followers. 

Jesus cares so much about this that he asked the Father to give us a love for each other that matches the Father’s love for him.  The Father will give that through the Spirit but it is required of us that we employ it.  There is no human, at any age or state that we are not expected to love.  

Proceeding from this foundation, we can build a theology predicated on loving the Father in all things.  It is a foundation that cannot fail.  What I must do is allow love to be my prime mover.  In that, Dear Reader, perhaps we can build something that leaves behind the things that do not communicate Jesus and pursue the things that make him desirable.  

Let us then reason together for a few days as we prepare to celebrate that love that the Father and Son show us even when we do not wish it.  We can reject his love, but we will learn that we cannot live without it.  As always, I cherish your thoughts and questions. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/  

Most of our lives began because of love.  All of them are loved by the Father.  Perhaps it is time to lay aside everything else and return to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment