25 July 2016

IF – If I am Wrong

Greetings Dear Reader,

Pascal’s Wager is a philosophical argument that humans all bet their lives on the existence or non-existence of God.  Pascal suggests that that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas they stand to receive infinite gains and avoid infinite losses. (Wikipedia)

I have chosen to bet that God exists.  I have chosen to accept all that this belief requires of me.  I do not always succeed in following Christ as I should be I seek to do so daily.  I long to succeed in following every moment.  The binary choice of if I will or will not follow is one I made 42 years ago.  The binary choice in each moment is to do the same.

I choose in the moment if I will be loving or unloving, kind or unkind, forgiving or unforgiving.   I choose in the moment if I will up my wager that God is there and that Christ is all he claims to be for his followers and for the world.  So, Dear Reader, this begs the question, “what if I am wrong?”

If the binary outcome is that there is no God and this is all there is then what have I gained.  I have gained a life of loving others.  I have gained a life of kindness and support of others.  I have gained the satisfaction of being good to all that I can. 

That is enough for me.  I do not believe that I am wrong but if I am then  I have lost nothing. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment