31 July 2016

Second Thoughts – Why Don’t We Wave and Say "Hi"?

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

One of the fondest memories of my Grandfather was his relationship to police officers.  No matter where we went if we encountered a police officer he would wave, say hello, or even buy the officer a cup of coffee.  He always thanked them for their hard work.

Since the less thinking members of our society have chosen to treat our guardians with violence and disrespect I am doing the only thing I know to do about it.  I am going to start waving, saying hello and thank you, and being obvious about it.

As I started this a couple of cool moments have occurred.  One was on the way home from work.  A couple of officers were running traffic monitoring on a side street where people often drive to fast.  I happened to be parallel to them as I waited for the cars in front of me at a stop sign. 

I rolled down my window, made sure my hands were visible on the steering wheel, and just called out “thank you”.   The officer in the driver’s seat smiled and said, “That means more to us than you know.”  His partner smiled and waved.

Last night, after a late night out at the baseball game I was again parallel to a police car.  I rolled down my window and said, “Thank you for working at night so I can sleep safely.” 

The officer replied, “Wow, I am really tired tonight.  That makes it worth it.”  As I drove to my place I prayed for his safety and for some energy.  I wish I could have bought him a cup of joe and helped him out.

There is not industry without bad employees.  This includes law enforcement.  We must not judge them on the bad ones any more than you want to be judged on the bad people in your profession Dear Reader.   

If we want to improve the relationship of the police with the community perhaps just simple gratitude is a great place to start.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment