26 July 2016

IF – The “IF then” Falsehood

Greetings Dear Reader,

I hear this too often for it to be complacent about it.  I have had to learn that it is a smoke screen and not to be blinded to love and compassion by it.  It is false test that will never yield the requested but not truly required results.

The test comes in form of statements concerning what God would or would not do:
  • If God exists then he would ….
  • If God loves us then he would not allow…
  • If there is a God then why does he not…


These series of ifs arise from a complete misunderstanding of how we approach God.  He never attempts to prove that he exits or that he is God.  He never subjects himself to our demands.  He insists that we approach him in faith.  He insists that we seek him with an honest and open heart. 

I find that the aforementioned ifs are often asked in a spirit of unbelief or dissatisfaction with how the world unfolds.  We are not in a position to make demands of God.  We are in need of him.  We are dependent upon him whether we wish it or not.

When I struggled with faith I often asked for proof of God’s existence.  I often demanded that he bend the world to my will.  I often accused him of failing to handle things as I should like them.

We fail to see who God is when we proffer these ifs.  We fail see that his very nature precludes them.  We need to approach him with a different set of ifs:

  • If God exists then what does he wish from me?
  • If God loves me then how should I respond to that love?
  • If I seek him with all my heart what will I find?


The “:if then” of these questions I have pursued for four decades.  I have found that they yield answers that guide and often satisfy.  When I fail at them I find my mind reverting to demanding and faithless questions.  I must always return to the best of the ifs.  God promises, “IF you seek me with all your heart THEN you will find me.” 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment