28 July 2016

IF – If we Unite in Christ

Greetings Dear Reader,

As I pondered the basics of following Christ it occurred to not for the first time that aside from failing to love we have another great failing.  We are divided against ourselves over so many things that do not matter.  We are so divided that we lose opportunity to work together for the greater good.

We divide over things such as form of worship and how to dress.  We dispute minor aspects of theology to the point that we do not speak to each other.  We argue over matters to which there is no conclusive answer.    We are not united in Christ except for pretense and this limits our ability to show Christ to others.

When I first chose to follow Christ those who led me to the journey immediately began to instruct me as to what other followers were unacceptable.  I was taught to see the differences as acceptable reasons to revile and reject them.  This is so far from the expectation of Christ.  Jesus wants us to be evidenced by love and unity in his service.  He does not wish us to divide and argue over things that do not natter.

Again we come to the big IF.  What could we do in the world if we put away our prideful presumptive petulance and instead saw our duty to love and charity?   If we are to truly impact the world then it does not matter how we baptize or the type bread we use for communion.

IF I am to follow Christ then I must be careful to limit my disagreements with my fellow travelers to those matters that actually matter.   If I allow division over minor things then I diminish the impact of the Gospel and that is a grave matter indeed.  I do not find my hope in how one worships but in the act of worship.   I must find my bonds of community and unity in Christ and his commands. 

This is the big IF.  What could we do IF we only served the Gospel?  We are free in Christ and may follow with our full hearts.  IF we set aside the trivial things that divide us then used those hearts to share all that Christ we could make a true difference.

That is my duty to Christ.  Even if no one else takes it up it is my obligation.  It would be prideful to think that no one does but it is my duty in any event.  It is my obligation to live the dream of unity in Christ even if no one else does.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment