21 July 2016

Satisfaction – Need or Want

Greetings Dear Reader,

I need that new video card for my gaming.  That statement is a lie.  I do not “need” it.  I may want, desire, crave, and covet it.  I do not need it.  One of the great lies we believe is that we need things that we do not.

The consumer market is driven to make us dissatisfied with what we have and instead push us toward what others want us to buy.  From phones to shoes what we have that is still serviceable and good is no longer up to speed or in fashion.  We are robbed of our contentment because the market is always hungry for our money.

Simply being honest about what I need versus what I want can carry me very far down the path to contentment.  Forcing my mind to say “I want” instead of “I need” when it is proper is a valuable discipline.  Forcing my wants to be subject to my means becomes a holy thing and instructs in contentment. 

It is not as important to have as is it to understand why I want.   I know that things will not content me.  I have funds for the things I want if I am patient.  It is in mastering my desire for a thing that I learn contentment.  It is in discerning between need and want that I gain the power to choose wisely.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment