26 September 2016

Second Thoughts – The Dented Peanut Butter Jar

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Recently I bought a two pack of peanut butter at my favorite purveyor of bulk items.  Upon releasing said jars from their shrink wrap I noticed that one of the jars was dented at the bottom. 

This bothered me greatly but the jar was still sealed so I used it.  Each time I saw the jar on the shelf the dent bothered me.  Then I chose to have PBJ for dinner earlier this week.  Usually the distribution of the Peanut Butter jar, the Jelly jar, the plate, and the bread bag are a challenge. 

This time the plate slide right into the dent on the jar.  It created just enough room on the tray so that the entire cadre of items fit perfectly.  The irritating defect had become a helpful deviation from the norm.  This week I ate the last of the peanut butter from that jar and now will mourn the absence of the utilitarian dent. 

I wonder how often I miss the value of something because I only see the defect?  I suppose it is more often than is good.  I know that it is more often than is right.  The imperfections in things and people are one of the things that create uniqueness.  An infinite diversity of differences is what creates beauty in the world.

If I am to live my faith I must strive to see that even the imperfections are there to teach me.  They exist to show me how God uses the foolish and broken things to accomplish his aims.  He uses his fallen creation to bring all things back to good.  At times, when I allow it, he even uses me.

When we embrace this thought we can get out of the way faster.  We can be of better and more suited use.  The dents, blemishes, and scars become the compass points that help us follow. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous26/9/16 19:13

    It is very interesting how God takes something that irritates us and then shows us how it too has a purpose. It's a challenge to take a step back to look at all things that way. A challenge we should try to do in often in our lives.

    ReplyDelete