08 September 2016

Second Thoughts – Still Boldly Going

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Fifty years ago today at 10:00 PM Eastern time my mother awakened me from slumber in my room.  She led me to the living room and gave me popcorn and juice as I watched the opening moments of the first Star Trek episode. 

I was instantly enthralled.  I have spent the last fifty years living and reliving the many voyages of the Starship Enterprise.  Her ongoing mission in my life has shaped my love of literature, film, and life.  I owe a debt I can never pay to Gene Roddenberry and the cast of that original series.  I talk about this at length in Sheetrock on the Road, my latest novel. 

As I think about all that has happened surrounding this show and its children I ponder all the people that have journeyed with me through the adventures.  I have used the common ground it creates to entertain and educate.  It has been the backdrop to much of my thinking and values.

I have been privileged to meet William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Deforest Kelly, and Georgie Taki.  I have spent hours in discussion of the philosophies and values represented in the episodes with students, friends, and families.  The final frontier is still not close enough to us for my liking.   I think we need to try harder to build the dream.

As this milestone passes I am thankful for all that has been given me by this lovely creation.  IT is in this fantasy that I find much of my understanding of reality.  It is in these characters that I find much of my character.  Long after the credits fade and I trundle off to bed the lessons and adventures of Star Trek linger in my heart and mind.  It is in this that I sometimes find the courage to keep boldly going.

Thank you Gene for your creations and their place in my lives.  I lift a glass of Romulan Ale to you and with you much peace.  I pray we can actualize your dream.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


No comments:

Post a Comment