15 September 2016

The Main Quest – Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

My Son Bezel posted a thought the other day that resonates with me.  “I feel like I'm at a point in my life where I know I need to advance the main quest, but instead, I faff about doing side quests because the main quest is intimidating and I don't feel like I've leveled up enough to be able to handle it.”  I cannot find the source of the quote but it is something that is spinning in my mind.

I have been a fan of table top gaming for fifty years.  The idea of advancing the main quest is one familiar to all of you Dear Reader.  It may not be due to hours of Dungeons and Dragons or GURPS.   
First a note to those who see these things as evil or a waste of time.  The truth about gaming is that any it is far from evil.  It is a great tool for teaching creativity, courage, and character.  It is a great way to build community.  Any evil that arises is in the people not the game.  I think that also covers the wasted time aspect.  Anything that builds character is not a waste of time.

I am more interested in what keeps us from the main quest.  What is it that draws our interest from what we desire to do?  What is it that has us chasing small things that do not matter when there is a dragon to slay and a maiden to rescue? 

Thank you Son for something to ponder.  You do that for me often.  Walk with me for a bit Dear Reader and as always I cherish your thoughts.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment