22 December 2019

Carrying Christmas in my Heart ~ A Billion Unique Gifts


Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

Many Christmases ago, when I was younger and seeking money more than Christ, I had to go to Los Angeles for meetings the week before Christmas.  It was a lonely journey for me as it was all commerce and little joy.

The business of it went well and I had some good encounters there.  My heart was missing home and the preparations for Christmas.  On the return journey, I was given gifts that have stayed with me to this day.  The first gift was that the flight was almost empty and my kindness to a lovely flight-attendant resulted in her moving me to first class.

As I settled into my window seat, I felt appreciation for the comfort, the room, and the glass of champagne I sipped as we readied for flight.  That appreciation fought with my thoughts of self-doubt and kept me from exuding my usual Christmas joy.  After take-off, the flight-attendant brought me a meal and offered me another drink.  When I refused the drink, not wanting to even have a buzz when I landed, she explained that anything I wished was complementary.  There was more than a beverage offered in her comment and I am sure she felt rejected at my failure to pick up what she had so carefully laid down. 

When she returned to collect my meal plate, she brought me a frosty glass of eggnog.  She assured me that it was non-alcoholic.  As I sipped the eggnog and looked out the window, we began to cross the Rocky Mountains.  It was what unfolded below that became a life-long gift to me. 

I have written at length about the view I saw and the realization I had.  Here it is in summary.  We flew over a portion of the mountains where I saw no roads or signs of human interdiction.  There were no clouds and the sun shown on vast fields of untouched snow.  It leapt into my mind that beneath me stretched billions of unique snowflakes. 

A cubic foot of snow can contain a billion exclusive flakes or crystals.  As we steaked over this vast field of singular beauty derived from billions of solitary works of art, I was reminded that all human souls are a unique and beautiful.  The flight-attendant returned as I was caught in this reverie and asked playfully about what I was seeing.  I met her bright steel-blue eyes and asked if she ever took time to ponder the beauty over which she flew every day.   She explained that she rarely had time.

Pointing out the window to the snow, I related my thoughts on the vast beauty and what it took to create it.  The woman took a long look out the window and as she did, I spoke, “You are created as uniquely as that beautiful field of untouched snow.  I was not rejecting you earlier.  I was valuing you and the woman to whom I am wed beyond the offer in your inference.  I am not offended nor are you lacking in beauty or worth.  I want you to know that you are much more, so much more.”

I will save the rest of that conversation for another time Dear Reader.   What I wish to reaffirm is that each of us is a unique and beautiful creation that the Father cherishes and loves.  Carrying that in our souls will allow us to carry Christmas in our hearts.  It is why I endeavor to love every snowflake and every soul.  It is at the heart of why Christmas exists at all. It is how I feel about you, Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium          Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment