30 December 2019

Carrying Christmas in my Heart ~ Egwin of Worcester


Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

OK, raise your hand if you have heard of Egwin of Worcester before today.  Some wrong guesses would be, he is the guy who invented Worcestershire Sauce although it is the same Worcester.  He had nothing to do with eggs.  I would guess that only one or two of you have any idea who he is.  Perhaps Amy or Ian.

The feast of Saint Egwin of Worcester celebrates an eighth-century bishop of Worcester.  Now it seems there were enough guys named Egwin back then that it was necessary to say which one by location.  Our Egwin is a descendant of the Mercian Kings and the founder of Evesham Abbey.

What is of note to us is that he stood steadfastly for morality in a world and time that did not.  At the time things like monogamy, morality, and celibacy were not common in the region.  The teachings on these matters were sometimes even met with violence.  It is not easy to stand for what is right in the riptide of a world that rejects it.  Egwin did so by example and by caring for the poor in his world.

As we draw toward the closing of the year, we consider what we are going to resolve to make better in our lives.  This year instead of the common things, I am going to repeat last year’s adventure and build upon it.  Last year it was a determination to respond to everything with love.  I have made progress but this will be a life-work, not a year.  I intend to build on that foundation being unoffendable.  If I am going to love always then I must not take up offense either. 

This will take intention and effort.  It will not be easy and will require that I fuel my love for others in every situation.  If I hold love without expectation, I become harder to offend.  If I face the day with Jesus as my only possession, then I can shed the preconceptions and expectations that lead to offense.  I need to not expect those who do not share my faith to act like those who do share it.  I need to release my fellow followers from any judgment from me and instead seek to love them where they are.

This day is at the root of our resolutions.  Let us resolve to be seriously deep about where we stand Dear Reader.  Let us stand strongly enough that our love and care for others leaves us unoffendable and lets our commitment stand for eighteen centuries like Egwin of Worcester. 
  
Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium          Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment