11 December 2019

Carrying Christmas in my Heart ~ Carried on the Wind


Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

I usually speak of this sooner in the season.  It is one of those moments that makes my heart race.  It is always a sound first.  Then it is echolocation followed by seeking and finding.  It is action and hope and giving without hope of return.

The clear high-pitched sound carries across the parking lot.  I am headed in its direction in any event.  The shopping I need to do, however, takes a back seat to the moment.  I savor the moment every year.  The clear sound of the bell carrying through the air calls me like the scent of fresh bread or the sighting of a long-missed friend. 

The bell and I have spent many hours together.  That first time each year, our visit is brief.  It is calling me to give.  I spot the sign and the red kettle soon enough.  My mind begins to sing the song for which this sound is written.  I search my pocket for my money clip and withdraw some cash.

Folding the money properly, twice across the length, so that it will fit the kettle opening, I make eye contact with the bell ringer.  My mirth is obvious and my intent clear.  I never pass a kettle without putting something in it.  It fills me with joy to do so.  In the last years, however, there is also a tinge of sadness.

Fewer and fewer people make time for this joyful activity as volunteers.  Too often, the kettle is absent or they stand there with no ringer.  I make time to ring bells every season. I cannot cover them all or I would.  It is not too late Dear Reader.  It is a simple thing to contact your local Salvation Army office and volunteer.  The process is easy.

More important is the opportunity to help people in need through an organization that makes sure that over ninety percent of donations go directly to the work.  One also gets to see others in the vulnerable moment of giving.  Whether it is a child putting pennies in or someone who gets the purpose and is donating out of joy, there is a special moment.  There is that moment of releasing something that we hold for the benefit of people we do not know.  It is a sacred act performed amidst the world of avarice and commerce.  That moment of release is holy and beautiful.

This is a small way to lean and teach the idea of carrying Christmas in our hearts.  It is a sound that can become a herald of the season, of joy, and of hope for us all.  It is a song that can raise us above the clamor and commerce to remember that love, generosity, and kindness are the real currency of the season and should mark the entire year.  Remember the next time you hear the bells carried on the wind that it is the meaning of the season calling you to it.

Silver Bells – She and Him

City sidewalks, busy sidewalks.
Dressed in holiday style
In the air, there's a feeling of Christmas
(Children laughing,
People passing,
Meeting smile after smile)
And on every street corner, you'll hear

Silver bells, (Silver bells) Silver bells, (silver bells)
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling (ring-a-ling),
Hear them ring (hear them ring)
Soon it will be Christmas day.

(Strings of streetlights
Even stop lights
Blink a bright red and green
As the shoppers rush
Home with their treasures

Hear the snow crunch
See the kids rush
This is Santa's big day
And above all this bustle you'll hear

Silver bells) the corner Santa Claus,
(Silver bells), it's busy now because
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, (it fills the winter air)
Hear them ring (you'll hear it everywhere)
Soon it will be Christmas day.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium          Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment