24 December 2019

Carrying Christmas in my Heart ~ A Family Reunion


Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

I am staying in a nice hotel.  It has that old hotel feel where they call you Mr. Thorn, the staff is over-attentive, and any request is their joy to fulfill. It is not cheap but it is not expensive either. 

No, I am not writing a travel review.  There is a very large family staying here and they are having a family reunion.  Last evening, they were celebrating in the large breakfast area where the hotel provides a sumptuous free breakfast each morning.  I discovered this when I went to get some tea.

One of the younger men was dressed in a set of elf pajamas.  Several of his peers were teasing him.  I had just come in from running errands and still had on my Santa hat and Christmas scarf.  I stopped and said, “You look good enough to be one of MY elves. Merry Christmas.”

Several small children heard this and immediately crowded around me.  The elf looked at me and looked at them.  Smiling, mischief in his eyes, he said, “Santa, perhaps my young cousins could get a picture with you.”

There was no way to deny this.  We took a few pictures and I was trying to escape to my room.  I wished to eat and still wanted that cup of tea.  An elderly woman, who I was to learn is the matriarch for the family came up to me and smiled.   She wanted her picture taken with Santa as well.  After the picture, she insisted I “fix a plate” and eat with her.  I agreed and sat to listen to her family history.

Over the meal, I made some children happy, ate some good soul food, and made about a hundred new friends.  I spoke about my Children and Grand Children.  Toby, the elf said he wanted to read my books (he had internet stalked me whilst I was eating).  To his credit, he knew that Aramis was one of the Three Musketeers.

On Christmas Eve, I wish for us to remember that we are all headed toward a reunion.  When we get to the place where it is always Christmas, there is a big dinner planned.  You will get to meet my Grandfather of whom I write so often.  In expectation of that time is why I strive to carry Christmas in my heart always. 

Seeing this family sharing so much joy and giving them a little of my time reminded me why that practice is so vital.  I made a young man feel valued for who he is, gave some children a bit of wonder, and heard the story of a woman just two generations from slavery.  Investing in others is always a benefit to us Dear Reader.  There is always time to be a present for others by reuniting with them free from malice or resentment.  There is always a good reason to practice what will one day be our reality. 

I still have presents to prepare and a sleigh to load.  Enjoy your family and know that I wish your Christmas to be filled with wonder and joy.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium          Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment