14 October 2018

Daily Bread ~ …and Circuses


Greetings Dear Reader,

In case you do not catch the reference, “Bread and Circuses” Is “a diet of entertainment or political policies on which the masses are fed to keep them happy and docile.”  In seeking our daily bread, we must always be aware of the circus that we have built around that seeking.  We have a system of vast complexity surrounding a thing for which we are supposed to simply depend on the Father.

There is enough in the world that no one should go hungry.  Beyond the practical aspect of this the Father has promised to provide for our needs.  Instead of taking care of each other we hoard or deny.  We take for ourselves and allow others to suffer.  Worse, we put laws and systems in place that make it harder to care for the needs of others. 

It goes deeper still.  We indulge in things to excess when we know that there are needs clamoring all around us.  We pass the Salvation Army red kettle and buy extra candy.  Corporations cut jobs so that they can increase profits.  Our government indulges in excess whilst complaining that they do not have enough funds to pay for aid programs.  The difficulty reaches to every level of our culture.

We are entertained, distracted, and mollified by games and shows.  We will spend vast sums on football tickets, beer, and food whilst ignoring the homeless man outside the parking lot.  I am not saying that entertainment is wrong.  I am concerned that we are so far out of balance.

I am supposed to ask the Father to provide enough so that I am not tempted to steal and so that I have enough to give to the poor.  I am required to care that even my enemies have their daily bread.  I must not be content for anyone to lack the provision of the Father. 

If I am going to live as one who cherishes all that the Father commands then I cannot simply ask him to provide for me.  I must desire for everyone to have his or her daily bread.  I must love everyone enough to seek their needs be met as well as mine.  I long to focus on this as we journey Dear Reader.  I already know I find great joy in feeding others.  I will find so much more joy in seeing that desire spread among us all.


Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Novels on Amazon 
Web Page: www.aramisthorn.com          
Facebook        Google +   
Twitter            Medium    

No comments:

Post a Comment