10 October 2018

Daily Bread ~ On Breakfast


Greetings Dear Reader,

Breakfast is surely my favorite meal of the day.  I used to love making breakfast on Saturday mornings for my Sons and any students who showed up.  It is not just the eating but the process.  The cooking, the smells, and the coffee all combine to provide an experience that I enjoy.

When my Sons were little they never wondered if there would be breakfast in the morning.  They never asked me when I tucked them in at night if we had food for breakfast.  When Bezel was very small he would rush to wherever I was immediately demanding, “I want my cereal.”  Maxim, the eldest was more restrained and simply followed his brother to wherever breakfast was being prepared.

They knew that their father would make breakfast for them.  They knew that their parents would provide food for them.  We are supposed to KNOW that the Father will provide our daily bread.  He will be there in the morning to break our fast.  He will provide not only what we need but wants to provide what our hearts desire.  I am not touching on misguided worship of abundance here.  Instead, I want to adopt a view of the Father as a good provider of what we need as we greet him each morning.

We are supposed to expect him to provide.  We are allowed to count on him to give us a breakfast that starts our day with joy in who he is to us as his children.  Expecting him to provide does not mean that we expect him to provide more than what we need or to provide in the way we proscribe.  Rather, it is expecting that he will be there to break our fast, get us started on our day, and send us into it with the joy of his love for us.

In trying to embrace dependence upon the Father for my daily bread in every way, I realize that the coffee is so much more than I have thought of it before.  It is a shared moment of meeting.  That first smell of it brewing that brings me joy is not just the pleasure of an aroma.  It is a Father reminding me that he loves me. 

The taste of my morning meal is a reminder that a loving Father wants to provide for all my needs as I follow his Son.  It is the moment each day when I get to remember that even though I am adopted he loves me so much that he allowed his only true Son to suffer to accomplish my adoption.  That is the Father to whom Jesus refers when he tells us to ask for our daily bread.

Do I wake up expecting that the Father will give me my daily bread each day?  Do you, Dear Reader?  It comes again to faith.  I must expect in faith each day that the Father will provide if I simply follow.  That is and should be enough.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:

Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment