11 October 2018

Daily Bread ~ Give


Greetings Dear Reader,

If I could impose on your imagination for a moment I would ask you to call up a mental image.  You are a child.  Your parent serves you a delicious breakfast of your favorite breakfast foods.  There is no requirement to eat a certain food.  You may eat as much or as little as you like.  Whatever is your favorite is supplied in abundance. 

As you dine on the food provided for you there is pleasant conversation filled with love and laughter.  You eat your fill of the foods you love.  After you eat the last bite, savoring the taste and joy, you wipe your mouth with an elegant linen napkin.  As you sit back in your chair your parent who has served your every want rises, takes your plate, and toddles off to the kitchen.  You sit for a moment reveling in the full belly of fine food perfectly prepared with love and skill.

Your parent returns, smiles warmly at you and says, “I was so pleased to provide this meal for you.  Here is the bill.”  That parent then places a restaurant style guest check on the table detailed with all you ate and the total price for your meal. 

Thank you for wandering down the alley of the absurd with me for a moment.  I think that we all agree that a parent would not do this unless it was a joke or to make a point.  Still I know that I do not truly get the idea of the Father GIVING me my daily bread.  When Jesus says we are to ask the Father to “Give us this day our daily bread,”  the world “give” means to provide without cost.  It means that the other person receives without effort of debt on his or her behalf. 

I do not embrace the idea that the Father wants to provide for me fully.  I too often feel that I do not deserve it.  I foolishly think at times that I can and must earn it.  I do not mean that we should not work or that we are not responsible to be wise with what we have.  I do mean that the Father wants us to be totally dependent upon him for our provision. 

The current cultural system leads us to believe that we can be self-sufficient.  It encourages us to make our own way and live outside of the constant care of the Father.  We are supposed to always be in his care.  We are required to accept his loving provision for our daily bread.  Who would not wish to have the kind of care that promises to meet all of our needs? 

I have never really allowed the Father to love me in this way.  I must.  I feel the raw emotion associated with finally embracing that love, or more, allowing it to embrace me.  I challenge you to do the same Dear Reader.  We should allow the Father to give to us as much as he wishes without thinking we need to merit it or pay for it.  We can discuss this more as we walk together satisfied by his ample provision.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment