30 September 2013

Jesus Toast – Iconic Butter

Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday I attempted to lightly discuss the problem I see with seeing an icon in toasted bread.  I received more and a few unhappy comments from some of you, Dear Readers.  Further I was concerned some would see me as being disrespectful and some did.  I think that in every endeavor we find those who traffic in the absurd. 

One person sent me a link that included instructions for buttering toast so that as it browns it creates the desired icon.  The individual had obviously not looked at the link as it was instructions for creating icons for a software called Toast.  I do suppose that one could draw on toast with butter and create the desired iconic effect.

The problem I see is that we seem to care more for the icons than we do that which the icon represents.  The time it would take to create such a thing would not be worth it except for personal gain.  I have rarely seen the value of an image of Christ when we are supposed to be transforming ourselves into that image. 

It is I that is to become the icon.  I am to be the thing that reflects who Christ is.  My toast is just my toast.  I am to be a living icon of the love and grace that Christ offers the world and I am not to indulge in the absurd that detracts from that.

There is much science to support that we are prone to see anthropomorphic images in things.  That research also points out that we are much more likely to see religious images if that is what we seek. 

I am supposed to seek Christ but not in that way.  I am not supposed to look for signs or proofs.  I am supposed to follow in faith.  I am required to see him in the things of the world not in my grilled Ruben sandwich.  I am to see him in the provision of that sandwich not the bread.

When I fail to see his image in the places I am supposed to then I will seek false images in places I should not.  The bread of life is found in life not in toast.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment