05 September 2013

Why We Do It

Greetings Dear Reader,

A friend of mine recently posted a question as to why Conservatives attack a certain social group.  I am not going to address that particular group as the answer does not matter relative to the group.  The answer is much broader and a deep concern.

The benchmark of those who follow Christ is to be their love.  Any time I rail against any group of people that I disagree with I am not being loving.  I feel that I am a conservative person but will not identify myself with “Conservatives” politically. 

It is my responsibility to promote love, grace, kindness, and mercy.  I cannot do this if I am promoting anything less to a group that I socially or politically disagree with.  Whilst it is true that there are those who do things that are wrong in terms of a biblical definition of sin that is not to be my focus.  I do things all the time that fit the biblical definition of sin and it is hypocritical to dwell on the sin of others.

What I am supposed to do is align my thoughts, attitudes, and actions with Christ and let him deal with the sin (both mine and theirs).  Whether I consider the actions of someone as the actions of a friend or an enemy I am not allowed to hate him.  I am required to love him. 

That is where I must loving part with those who call themselves political “Conservatives.”  I must also address the notion that just because I think something is wrong means that I hate that person.  That is a lie.  I think it is wrong to run a stop sign but I do not hate people who run them.  I think that it is wrong to do many things but I do not hate people that do those things.  Assuming that my conservative position on an issue means that I hate you is an error.

Do not paint all those who follow Christ with the same brush with which you paint the “religious right”.  It is not a logical choice.  We tend to paint people with broad strokes so that we do not have to get too close.  I will not hate any or all members of a group just because I think that what they do is wrong.  I will ask in return that you not treat all of us who claim Christ in the same way.  I promise not to hate you, however, if you do.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."


No comments:

Post a Comment