19 September 2013

Social Media – First Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

Since I work diligently not to be hypocritical this will not be a rant against social media.  Over half of you that read my blog use it to do so.  That said, what are my responsibilities concerning this twenty-first century device?

I use Facebook and Twitter.  My alter ego and I both have Facebook pages and only I have a Twitter page.  I am sure I do not use either as effectively as I should to market my work.  Then again, I am sure I do not think about marketing enough.

So what are a Christ follower’s responsibilities as regards social media?  What am I supposed to do to assure that I am evidencing my love for God and my neighbor when use social media.  What are my obligations to the thousands of snippets of communication that come my way each day?

As with anything I must put my following first in every interaction.  I must put my obligation to love and demonstration of my faith into every interaction.  My oldest Son, Maxim has made some keen observations concerning the freedom that exist in the relative anonymity of the internet.  It gives one lease to be less kind and more judgmental.  I must assure that all of my words reflect who I am supposed to be in Christ.

So I must ponder for a bit what is appropriate for me in the use of the amazing and alarming tool.  I would really value your thoughts on this as I examine the advantages and dangers of social media for one who truly yearns to reflect Christ in what he does.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."


1 comment:

  1. Should be an interesting series - I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete