21 September 2013

Social Media – Gossip and Slander

Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday my friend Glenn mentioned in his comment that so many things that others post are gossip.  In addition to venting anger I often see people share information about others that is personal and should not be aired publicly. 

I have seen posts that reveal information about others intended to embarrass or harm them.  People sometimes report on the activities of their exes in mocking or derisive tones.  It is simply too easy to be unkind to others in this way through social media.

Often too people indulge in negative comments about people they do not know.  People in the news, celebrities, and athletes are subject to the opinions and judgment of others.  Do we really consider that we have no right to malign those we do not know?  We are not free to say whatever we wish about others. 

As a Christ follower I am bound by his words to be kind to others.  I am to show love and compassion.  I am not to judge others.  My opinion, disappointment, or anger at the actions of those I do not know must be fodder for my prayers and not my public opinions.

When I participate in the interplay of negative speculation about others I wrong them whether they ever know it or not.  When I say things about others that are unkind I am wrong, full stop.  It is both too easy to snipe at others and so very wrong of me to do so.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment