27 September 2013

Social Media – Parents and Adult Children

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the great things about social media is keeping up the children.  One of the terrible things about social media is keeping up with the children.  Yes both are true.  Whether we wish it or not your personality, values, and habits show through in your media posts.

It is my responsibility to honor that my children let me in by not embarrassing or judging them.  I am bound by my faith to treat them with the same respect publicly that I would give to others.  If I am concerned about something they post I should have a private and loving conversation with them.

I see parents publicly defame, insult, and condemn their children.  This is wrong in any venue and I think more so in social media.  If I judge or ridicule my children they are free to block me from access.  I must remember that being able to see into their online lives is a privilege and not a right.

I think that this speaks to the larger responsibility that I have to treat them as I would treat anyone else.  I must love them as Christ loves them.  I must not judge them or condemn them.   What I must do is see the things that bring them joy and share what I can.

Like anyone else in the world I am required to love them for who they are; even more because I helped sculpt that person.  I must not indulge my worries or demand that they reflect my values and opinions.  I must air in public what should be private.  I must honor Christ but being good to them in front of their friends.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment