05 March 2020

What Does It Matter? ~ Closing Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

I could think of multiple examples and metaphors to sharpen the point of this.  I could escalate the intensity of those examples to ponder things over which we invest importance that does not matter.  The matter is that we all know we place importance on things that do not truly matter.

Instead, I am going to suggest a few practical things to employ to measure the importance of things relative to that which truly matters.  We have discussed how all of our challenges begin in the mind.  What we think is what we become.

  • Here are some questions to ponder when assigning importance to something:
  • Will it matter in five years?
  • Will my placing importance on this harm others in any way?
  • Does my placing importance on this reflect the love of Christ?
  • Is the importance I put on this a matter of pride or vanity?
  • Am I making something minor a major at the expense of peace with others?
  • Is this worth getting offended over?
  • Is the importance I am placing on something an act of love?


The idea is that if it does not matter with respect to our love of the Father and of each other, it does not really matter.  It may be important to us.  It may even be something about which we are passionate.  Those things are not wrong.  They become a problem when we substitute making them matter over love, kindness, and compassion for others.

The journey has enough troubles for me to navigate without creating them on my own.  When I major on the minors that do not matter, I create problems for myself and others.  I become offended over trivial things and risk offending others.  As we travel together, perhaps we can learn to have lively discussions about things that we value without making them matter more than they should.

We can journey together more peacefully and perhaps more readily.  We can avoid replacing love with empty banter.  We reflect the light of Christ more fully and without obfuscation.  These are the things that generate joy in our journey.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment